Saturday, December 18, 2010

Companions...?


Hello to any Doctor Who fans out there reading this blog.

Usually I just ramble on about how awesome DW is. Any of my followers can easily understand what I'm saying, even if they don't watch the series. Even if they don't really understand what I'm talking about, they get my point.

But right now, I have a bit more of a serious point to make about Doctor Who--one that only those who watch the series will really get. If there is anyone, anywhere in the world who is reading this who watches DW, I implore you to please, please, please comment on this post. Give me your opinion on this matter--I like looking at different sides. The commenting is open to everyone, even though it won't show up at first. I have to read all comments before I can post them on the blog. But your comment, who ever you are, where ever you are, is important to me.

It's about the companions. Namely, Rose and Amy, my two favorites--although I'll touch on some of the other companions as well.

Today I watched Army of Ghosts and Doomsday--for those of you who have seen these episodes, you know what about them makes me so sad. Those are Rose's final episodes, before she is stranded in a parallel universe, never to see the Doctor again. Sure, I know she meets him again later, but it still makes me sad to see her go.

But later today I started thinking...what about Amy? What's so special about her. I mean, sure, she's got a bloody time crack in her room, but...does he really CARE about her. A few weeks ago, I would have replied in an instant: "of course he does!" I might have even said "he likes her best." But no, no, that doesn't seem true. He likes Rose a lot more, that's for sure. With Rose, for example, there are so many moments between the two of them. With Amy--not so much. I mean, sure, they're is that part in The Time of Angels where he refuses to leave her.
The Doctor: Amy Pond, you are magnificent, and I'm sorry.
Amy: It's okay, I understand. You've got to leave me.
The Doctor: Oh no, I'm not leaving you, never! I'm sorry about this! [bites her hand]
[Amy yelps and grabs her hand]
The Doctor: There, see? Not stone, now run!
Amy: You bit me!
The Doctor: Yeah, and you're alive.
Amy: Oh, I've got a mark, look at my hand!
The Doctor: And you're alive! Did I mention?
Amy: Blimey, your teeth, have you got space teeth?!
The Doctor: Yeah, alive, all I'm saying!
And that was sweet and all, but it seems like he liked seven-year-old Amelia MUCH more then twenty-one year old Amy. He even confesses "You asked me why you...well, the truth was, it was you're house...such a big house, to big for a little girl and her aunt" or something like that. So really, he was just doing that to fulfill a promise to a little girl. Amy is just so...sparky. He's not used to that, I don't think. I mean, sure, no matter how many times he tells his companions not to run off, they do, but with Amy, she really is a handful for him. And why hasn't she been given a TARDIS key? Rose, Martha, Donna, Jack...all them got TARDIS keys, why not Amy? Why doesn't he trust her? She's definitely earned it. But, the biggest thing that upsets me about Amy--the end of Flesh and Stone? I mean, most companions fall in love with the Doctor...that's to be expected. But Amy?
The Doctor: Yea—No, no, no! I'm 907, and look at me! I don't get older, I just change; you get older, I don't. And this can't ever work.
Amy Pond: Aw, you are sweet, Doctor, but I really wasn't suggesting anything quite so... long term. [kisses him against the TARDIS]
See what I mean??? What's up with her? I mean, she's a perfectly nice girl...Well, the Doctor does tell her FIANCE, Rory, in the next episode: "We were both frightened...we thought we were going to die, but we didn't..." He DID save her, I guess, which might be a bit of an explanation. Anyways, I think he loves all of his companions in different ways, some more than others. Obviously, Rose is the perfect example. He was completely in love with her. With Donna, it was more of a sister/brother relationship, I think. As he said in The End of Time, she's his best friend (though if you've noticed, he doesn't even mention her to Amy or Rory, nor does he take advantage of his timeline rewinding to see her again). With Amy, I think she's a bit like an little sister--sweet when she's little, but a bit annoying when she's older. Which is why he was so surprised when she came at him like that at the end of Flesh and Stone. Yeah, now that I think about it, it is sort of an older brother/little sister relationship; he loves her and wants to protect her, but can find her annoying at times, and won't give her his car keys. Yeah, let's go with that.

Okay, one last thing: What about Martha? He says at the end of Smith and Jones that he's not replacing her with Rose, but OF COURSE HE IS!!! IT IS SO BLOODY OBVIOUS!!! Which annoys the heck out of me. How can he try to replace Rose? Needless to say, I don't exactly like Martha.

Well, it's late, so I best be getting to sleep (actually, I'm going downstairs to watch Doctor Who, season five, episode three: The Victory of the Daleks) I sort of calmed myself down by typing my thoughts and coming to a logical conclusion (eh, I hate logic, but sometimes it can be useful). Still, if you want to comment, I urge you too. What are you're opinions on this post?
Peace, Love, and Olympus,
Annabeth713

3 comments:

ollie98 said...

I TOTALY AGREE!! steven moffat is the best writer dw has ever had but amy is the most anyoying compaon dw has ever had the reason amy has no tardis key is cause she hasent left the show yet have yo noticed the companons with keys are all the ones who left the show and the reason the doctor didnt vist donna is because shae cant see him if she does it will kill her. i just wish amy wasent going to be in the 2011 series but sadly she is i know you like her and she has her moments but it hink its the acctress who plays her rather than the character herself.

Annabeth713 said...

Well, I like Amy a lot, she is my favorite, but I don't know...there is just something about her that we're yet to discover...

Annabeth713 said...

Hang on though, cuz if he was in the rewind he'd just see Donna, she wouldn't see him. And he'd also get to see Martha and Rose again as well. Kind makes me wonder...

I so hope Rose and Human Ten run into Amy and Eleven. That would be SO hilarious!!!